Magnetic reconnection (graduate course)
October 22, 2012 - January 2013
Basic course on plasma physics.
This course covers theory of
Magnetic Reconnection in plasma
and it's applications to astrophysical, terrestrial and
laboratory plasma environments.
Theoretical part covers MHD and Kinetic theories.
Biskamp, Dieter 2000, Magnetic reconnection in plasmas,
Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2000 xiv, 387 p.
Cambridge monographs on plasma physics, vol. 3, ISBN 0521582881
Magnetic Reconnection in Plasmas.
Physics and Astronomy
Andris Vaivads (firstname.lastname@example.org), Yuri Khotyaintsev (email@example.com), Alessandro Retino (firstname.lastname@example.org), Gerard Belmont (email@example.com).
We thank SNSB for a partial support of the course.
Day 1, week 1 : Uppsala, October 22-26
1. Current sheets, MHD discontinuities
2. Frozen in condition, topology, magnetic energy
Day 2, week 1 : Uppsala, October 22-26
3. 2D steady reconnection Sweet-Parker
4. 2D steady Petchek
Day 3, week 1 : Uppsala, October 22-26
5. 2D 2-fluid, numerical simulations
6. Multiple X-lines
Day 4, week 2 : Paris, December 10-14
7. Kinetic equlibrium (incl. Harris), tearing instability
8. Unsteady reconnection
Day 5, week 2 : Paris, December 10-14
9. Particle acceleration
10. Turbulence and reconnection
Day 6, week 3 : On-Line meeting, January, TBD
11. Reconnection in space plasma, substorms and FTEs / student
12. Reconnection in solar corona / student
Day 7, week 3 : On-Line meeting, January, TBD
13. Reconnection in astrophysical plasma / student
14. Reconnection in laboratory plasma / student
last modified on Wednesday, 17-Oct-2012 09:26:30 CEST